Head of Human Resources Department (m/f)
Head of Human Resources Department (m/f)Ärzte ohne Grenzen E.V.
Médecins Sans Frontières – Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V. (MSF-Germany) is the German section of the international medical aid organisation Médecins Sans Frontières which provides medical humanitarian aid in emergencies and other crises. MSF-Germany supports MSF’s global operations by recruiting personnel for field deployment, raising public awareness of humanitarian issues and fundraising. MSF-Germany is one of 21 MSF sections worldwide. Within the MSF-Network MSF-Germany is part of the Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA), together with MSF sections in the UK and Holland and the India branch office. MSFGermany directly supervises MSF OCA field operations in eight countries.
The Human Resources Department
MSF-Germany currently employs about 150 staff members in six departments plus temporary staff in its office in Berlin and elsewhere in Germany. In 2017, the HRDepartment facilitated 297 departures of staff members on German employment contracts to MSF projects worldwide. The HR-Department currently consists of 28 staff in 4 units with 3 coordinators. Working languages in the Berlin office are German and English.
The HR department of MSF-Germany focusses on two main areas:
- Providing field staff for MSF field operations worldwide. This includes: -The recruitment and retention of staff required for field operations, pre-deployment preparation, professional development including training, and –HR administration such as contracting and visa applications.
- Support of staff working in Germany. This includes: HR planning, recruitment, contracting, salary administration and other administrative processes, training, professional development and retention, HR policy development and advice to managers.
II. Terms of Reference:
Position: Head of Human Resources Department
Start Date: 01.04.2018
Salary: According to MSF-Germany´s internal salary scale, depending on individual relevant job experience we offer a maximum starting salary of 4.827 Euros per month before tax, 13 monthly salaries per annum.
Duration: MSF Germany´s mobility policy limits all senior management positions to a maximum duration of six years.
III. Overall Objectives of the Position:
The Head of Human Resources leads the long term, strategic development of the HR function at MSF-Germany with a special focus on:
A. The recruitment and development of a diverse and motivated workforce for field operations and the offices in Berlin, Bonn, Cologne and Hamburg.
B. Ensuring that MSF-Germany acts as a responsible employer that manages to attract, develop and retain a diverse and qualified workforce.
C. Leading and managing a high performance team.
D. Contributing significantly to the overall management, leadership and development of MSF-Germany.
E. Representing MSF-Germany at international MSF HR platforms and contribute actively to the development and implementation of the OCA HR strategy.
- At least ten years relevant work experience including at least five years in a senior management role in a multinational environment, preferably in an NGO;
- Genuine interest in and commitment to humanitarian principles;
- Good experience of managing change;
- Commitment to creating an inclusive working environment at MSF-Germany, building on the strengths of a diverse team;
- Capacity to think strategically and analytically and to translate ideas into tangible plans, budgets and reports; a proven ability to deliver to agreed objectives;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to achieve consensus among a wide group of internal stakeholders;
- Ability to withstand stress and work toward tight and demanding deadlines;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, at least a solid command of German (B2);
- Availability to travel regularly.
- Academic degree and professional training in Human Resources;
- Prior MSF experience or humanitarian field experience with other organisations a strong asset;
- Knowledge of German Labour law;
- Knowledge of HR Databases particularly SAP;
- Experience in one or several of the following priority domains: organisational development, learning and development, recruitment, diversity and inclusion;
- Knowledge of French an asset.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to make an important contribution to the work of the world’s leading medical emergency NGO.
Additional Information and application HERE